Friday, January 10, 2014

I Forgot.

A Confession.

Oh, I promise I won't forget.
So loaded, the statement seemed to fade.
As soon as it unfolded out of my mouth
I knew that the past couldn't be erased.
Who was I trying to disgrace?
Unwillingly I was disgracing me
I seemed not to care.
Not trying but I was disgracing you too.
Do you remember how I forgot?
You said, " Never take me for granted."
At the time I didn't know what that meant.
I acted like I did, but I didn't.
I said that I'd always be there
Knowing that I couldn't always be.
It seemed to be a forgotten art.
How I felt was all a mask
Covering up the things I was afraid to ask
I told you you were hurting me
That's how I made myself feel
Depression swept over me, over you
I didn't know what else to do
I wanted the fairy tale story
To know what it was like to be free
I kept pretending
A child-like pretending that brings bliss
A dream so beautiful
You couldn't determine if it was actual life
Or a fictional novel that I was living out.
I saw the fake it me, you saw the love
Often I'd see you cry, only to cry with you.
I couldn't utter words to say
Because I was hurting too.
It wasn't anything you did 
It was simple because I forgot.
That I loved you.


No comments:

Post a Comment